Somos Foodies encompasses the ancient traditions of the Mexican kitchen blended with today’s contemporary Latino lifestyle in the U.S. Each topic is developed as an event with dinner, cooking workshop, or a digital streaming sobremesa (chat around the table) and includes interviews or demos by popular chefs or other food experts.
A few of the topics in development are:
• Aguas Frescas and Liquados – Make healthy smoothies and fruit based drinks including Jamaica with
the hibiscus flower, strawberry and watermelon agua fresca, and healthy fruit smoothies
• Barbacoa and Big Red – Meet Chef Adán Medrano, author of Truly Texas Mexican: a Native Culinary
Heritage in Recipes and learn the history and traditions behind this San Antonio favorite breakfast as
well as the history of Texas Mexican food.
• Chiles – Go shopping in a Mexican mercado with Dr. Ellen Clark, learn the heat levels of different chiles,
make your own salsa
• Chocolate – Everyone’s favorite hot drink has a history that is thousands of years old; learn how the
cacao became chocolate and how it was so valuable that the cacao beans were used as currency
• Flavors of Mexico – Discover the many foods that originated in Mexico and learn how they have
impacted the world today, including cacao, aguacate, maiz, papaya, beans, chiles, and tomato
• Magic Molcajete – Learn the origin of the molcajete and the metate and their uses; smell the flavors
of over 30 spices and herbs that are used in Mexican cooking and learn how to combine them for perfect
flavors. Make pico de gallo and add it to other ingredients to create different meals.
• Maiz – This amazing food which originated in the Americas is now eaten all over the world. Discover the
history and uses of corn, and prepare a number of dishes with these delectable kernels.
• Nopales – While prickly pear cactus grows all around us in the southwest, few people know the benefits
of eating this ancient food. Dr. Carmen Perez guides the making of a delicious salad while sharing the
beneficial elements of the nopal
• Paletas & Helados – Explore the how-to of paletas as you visit a paletería, download a recipe and
make your own favorite cold dessert
• Tamalada – There is nothing like a tamalada where many helpers are required to prepare this family
favorite. Learn the steps to organizing your own tamaladas and tips on where to buy the perfect
ingredients. Join in to help then download the recipes and organizing chart to host your own tamaladas.
• Tequila and Mescal – Get into the history and traditions of two favorite alcoholic beverages of Mexico.
Meet the experts and see the process through photos that capture the essence of the tradition,
the process, and the celebratory uses of both beverages.
• Tortillas – Practice making tortillas from scratch as you hear about the history of this favorite food.
Corn or flour? Both, we’re Texans!